Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Story of a Soul

I am reading, for the second time this week, "The Story of a Soul", an autobiography by St. Therese of Lisieux. St. Therese's story is in my opinion, different from so many of the other stories of saints who did amazing things in the lives. Recently, I was watching a documentary on St. Catherine of Siena and found it overwhelming to comprehend how anyone could have such an influence on so many people and accomplish so many great things, including getting the pope to return to Rome, within a short period of her life. Catherine died at the age of 33, an age where I was just beginning to become enlightened with some spiritual sense. St. Therese's story is very different. Her life is a story of simplicity and humility. St. Therese sees herself as a perpetual child and she talks about her thoughts and feelings about simple things in life that we all struggle with. She has a way of connecting basic day to day life events and feelings to a spiritual level that is very accessible to any reader, at any point in their spiritual life. Throughout this story, I found myself smiling inside and relating to what she is talking about and embracing her attitude of acceptance of our personal flaws. She strived to be a saint from a young age, yet she accepts her shortcomings and finds simple ways to work on the virtues. She particularly speaks to her imperfections of oversensitivity, having scruples, worry and anxiety. In spite of her imperfections she is confident that she will be a great saint,

"I am not relying on my own merits, because I haven't any. I hope in Him who is Virtue and Sanctity itself: He alone, content with my frail efforts, will lift me up to Himself, clothe me with his Own merits , and make me a saint." (Saint Therese, Story of a Soul, pg. 48)

Later in story St. Therese talks about doing penance for God.

"I do not mean the sort of penance the Saints undertake. I was not like those grand souls who practice all kinds of penances from childhood. My mortification consists in checking my self-will, keeping back an impatient word, doing little things for those around me without their knowing, and countless things like that." (Saint Therese, Story of a Soul, pg. 100)

I find her story both down to earth and spiritually refreshing. In this world, there is so much pressure for achievement, status, and to accomplish "important things. As St. Therese's sister told her, "Because you have an extremely simple soul; however, it will be even more simple when you become perfect. The closer we come to God, the more simple we become." (pg105).
My advice to you my brothers and sisters is to let go of the world and let God in.

God Bless
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment